Friday, July 18, 2014

Summer Carillon

I sat on the lithoid steps opposite the Harkness Tower in the Branford College courtyard, waiting for the carillon. My eyes were filled with tears when the concert concluded, in the melody "The Lovers' Tasks".

One thing that surprised me was that most of the audience were old.

When I came through the corridor, an old man just sat there, holding the book in his right hand, turning the page with his other hand, and jiggling his head with the rhythm. He was so concentrated on the music and the book that he even overlooked the passers' movement.
In the courtyard, some brought their lawn chairs and picnic supper, while some lied down on the benches, closing their eyes. An old lady sitting beside me on the step was folding a paper crane, so gently she folded accompanied by the floating chimes. A couple lying on the grass, I was mesmerized by the way the lady stroked her partner so slowly and softly.


A shot of the corner



Sunlight changed color of the building from grey to light orange. Under the tree shadow, the notes swing while the swing swings; with gentle breeze, a dandelion was riding on the wind and flew by.

After each movement, we clapped out loud though we could not see the performer.

The carillon concert was so holy. I closed my eyes in the last movement, I saw a little girl with golden hair, standing in the church, with her fuzzy red coat, then walking on the street covered by heavy snow.



On my way back to Morse, the dandelion appeared again, smoothly landing on the ground, just like the full stop of the concert.



1 comment:

  1. Lovely description of your expetience, and very nice photographs!

    ReplyDelete