Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Rebirth

[Assignment: Go to the Yale Art Gallery, find a work of art that speaks to you then tell its story.]


I woke up with a beam of morning sunlight through the leaves, the sound of the spring flowed around me. I felt so dizzy that I could not remember what happened before. There was a decayed broken trunk with a blood spot lying beside my head. A lancing pain through my left leg bedeviled me from time to time, then I tried my best to turn my head, and what I saw were hundreds of greedy giant ants covered my blooding wound, and sought for the food.
I was frightened, despaired, so I tried to bleat out loud hoping my friends could hear me, but the respond was only the rustle from the beeches.
Now I could recognize the jungle. We used to pass here through the path led by our old sheepherder. He usually raised the red flag, then waved it, and we would gather together to go back home within the sunset. But yesterday, we were all extremely scared by the thunder and the heavy rain. No red flag, no bleat. The last moment I remembered was all my friends was running everywhere.
Out of the blue, a grey squirrel clamped up on the broken trunk crossing the spring. An eagle flew above the jungle. A black woodpecker with a red crest on the top leaned on the trunk.
"Hey, Hey!Please help me! I can hardly move!" I bleated again.
"Oh my god, dude, what happened to you?!" The squirrel jumped to me, with his dark blight eyes willing to help.
He suddenly shouted, "Here! I just got an idea! Ask the woodpecker for help! I bet he didn't have a satisfying dinner last night, now here comes the brunch! " He cast an eye on the swarm of ants, and rushed to the trunk airily.
The woodpecker flew to me, eager to save my life, or maybe ready to have a wonderful meal. He used the tongue carefully, like a surgeon cleaning the wound. After a while, he hiccuped and turned to me,"Hmm, thank you for the meal. And I'm going to find the eagle since you can not go back home on your own." After he flew away, the squirrel collected some leaves to cover my wound and used the stem to bind them up,"Now! No infection!".
I stood up, moved ahead slowly, while the eagle grasped my broken leg by the claws to lift it up. The squirrel ran far far away to find the path, and the woodpecker with the red crest became my guide. The red color led me to my home, to be with the flock again, just like usual.
I thought I would be died from the disaster, just like the decay of the trunk. But, livings and dead trees would still rise from the fertile decay of the forest floor. As long as sacrifice exists, there will be rebirth; as long as warmhearted help occurs, there will be a hope.   



Asher B.Durand - The Beeches 1845


Asher B.Durand - In the Woods 1855





The Metropolitan Museum of Art



The beautiful reflection in the ground floor




The woodpecker
The eagle
The squirrel



1 comment: