Tuesday, July 29, 2014

My dear libraries in the USA

From my perspective, library is such a holy place, and it does share some similarities with the church. They both embrace people who come from  different races and tremendously different backgrounds. But, here is the distinction; church implies a faith in god while library reveals the precious intelligence and knowledge conveyed by the great ideologists and scientists.
That is the reason why I love libraries so much. For now, in the USA, I have already visited 9 libraries among 3 cities. However, some of them I haven't explored comprehensively since they were not open to the public.
But still, the library impressed me most was Yale Sterling Memorial Library. The most significant reason was that the collection of books here really shocked me. The original books, besides English, were in the languageof Arabic, Russian, Japanese and even Chinese. These kinds of resources could never be imagined in my university.

over 10 floors of the collection

My familiar Chinese character

The study room

In addition, I would like to talk about the "museum library", Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library. A yale student I met in the Yale farm told me that she entered into the library to search for rare books last semester because of a literature course. The books have been standing there for hundreds of years. They grow older with their faded yellow paper, but never die. The way they watch me is just like a grandma caressing an infant baby. In addition, this is another reason why I think the library is as holy as the church.
Another library I've explored in Yale is the Bass Library. It's a convenient place for students to study but not as gorgeous as the former libraries.

Just standing there can make you feel the great spirits.


When it comes to the most magnificent library I have ever been in, it is the Boston Public Library. Though there were two Boston Public Libraries on my Google map, the one I've visited is opposite the Trinity Church. 


Boston Public Library
There were two sculptures which reminded me of the motto of Yale "Same Veritas. More Lux." Inside, It looked like an exhibition in the metropolitan museum.


The study room on the first floor which is more gorgeous than the Sterling, I think.

The library also provided a courtyard in the center for readers and travelers to relax. (Though the sculpture there also appeared in the Metropolitan Museum a week ago. )


In Boston, there are two world famous university -- Harvard and MIT. For me, to see if the university really attracts and amazes me is to check out the library.

So I figure out that in MIT, the labs are countless, meanwhile the libraries are not so attractive as others.


The student can choose a comfortable sofa beside the window, and then you can observe the sea opposing the library. 

The design of the Art & Music department Library in MIT

What made me sad was I couldn't enter the Harvard Library. =( 
Maybe I should be a stalker to follow Harvard students.
Harvard Library


Then, It comes to NYC. My feeling about NYC is complicated. Though the city is run by the bloodless capital, there are still many spiritual events.
The first picture as following is the hall in Morgan library museum. The sunlight came through the window, the glasses lifted up to refract it, and those wonderful colors were left on the ground just beside the musicians.  

Afterwards, what emerged before my eyes was the extraordinary Morgan's personal library. How I wish I could have a quarter of it in my future! 

A shot of the corner
In addition to all that, I went to the New York Public Library on Maddison Ave. Though it was not the library Carrie recommended, I was surprised that I found the book I was eager to read for a long time, which just seemed like a destiny. 



My dearest book, how I wish I can borrow u back to my hometown

At last, the most pitiful thing was when I eventually found the main New York Public Library, it was already 5:01 PM, and the library on Sunday closed at 5:00 PM." I just stood in front of you, but I would not have the chance to know you, my dear friend." 





So, this weekend, I will go there and observe my last friend I haven't met in NYC.
 -- New York Public Library! I'm coming! =)

1 comment: